Thursday, May 16, 2013

Battle of the (India) Pale Ales - Semi Final 3: Celtic League and Semi Final 4: American Walkover

Semi Final 3

Brew Dog Punk IPA  5.6% abv
O'Hara's Irish Pale Ale 5.2% abv

I'm expecting a very close contest here. I like both of these ales a lot and I drink them whenever I find them; the O'Haras you can get on tap in quite a few places.

First up the O'Haras, not massively hoppy but smooth and well balanced. This is a beer you could drink a lot of and it's Irish, so let's hope we can keep the flag flying.

And now for the Punk, lots of grapefruit, lots of hops but not as smooth or balanced I'd wager. So I guess its power vs finesse. It's frighteningly close but I'm gonna go with the Punk. Kudos to the O'Haras though. In the end there can be only two four finalists.

Winner - Brew Dog Punk IPA

Semi Final 4


ODell India Pale Ale  7% abv
College Green Brewery Headless Dog  4.2% abv

Bad news for the Irish, I couldn't find any more Headless Dog in Superquinn or anywhere else, so the Odell's wins by default. To be honest, I fricking love the Odells, so I don't reckon the Belfast beer had much of a chance anyway, sorry.


 Winner -  ODell India Pale Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment